Thursday, October 29, 2009
Friday, October 9, 2009
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Sick of poor returns, tax bills, mutual fund scandals, biased research, bad advice from brokers and excessive fees? Seeking Alpha's ETF Investing Guide is a free, unbiased online investment guide for mainstream and wealthy individuals that shows you how to lower your risk and slash your investment costs using exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
It's arranged right here in short chapters to make it easy to read online. For a quick overview, read the one-page summary. It presents the key points from each chapter, and links to them for fuller explanation.
What Not To Do
- The Three Goals of Investing
- Was Peter Lynch Really Right?
- Your Stock Picks Aren't As Good As They Seem
- The Problem With Tech Stocks
- Did Stock Picking Distract You?
- How To Beat the Market
- The Challenge of Trying to Pick Small Cap Stocks
- Measuring Stock Pickers’ Underperformance
- Why You Shouldn’t Buy Mutual Funds
- Mutual Fund Ratings
- How to Run a Mutual Fund Company
- So You Thought Mutual Funds Help You Diversify?
- Summary: What Not To Do
A Better Approach
- Why Indexing Wins
- Do You Really Need Help With Asset Allocation?
- A 1-Page ETF Primer
- The 7 Advantages of ETFs Over Index Mutual Funds
- ETFs Are Cheaper Than Index Mutual Funds
- The Single (But Serious) Disadvantage of ETFs
- Summary: A Better Approach
How To Assemble an ETF Portfolio
- A Core ETF Portfolio
- Understanding the Core Portfolio
- The Low-Maintenance ETF Portfolio
- Why You Shouldn't Own DIA, SPY or QQQQ
- What to Buy in Which Account
- The 4 Criteria for Picking a Brokerage
- Summary: How to Assemble an ETF Portfolio
How to Manage Your Portfolio to Reduce Risk & Raise Returns
- Turning Taxes to Your Advantage
- How to Make Money By Rebalancing
- Rebalancing Rules
- Should You Use Sector ETFs?
- Combining Tax Loss Selling & Rebalancing
- Summary: How to Manage Your Portfolio
When To Get Started
Emerging Markets & Closed-End Funds
- Why You May Want Exposure to Emerging Markets
- Why Use Closed-End Funds?
- Buying Closed-End Funds in Practice
- Closed-End Funds to Consider
- Summary: Emerging Markets & Closed-End Funds
Brokers, Financial Advisors & Investing For the Wealthy
- My Broker's an Honest Fox
- Asset-Based Fees to the Rescue
- Me, Use an Online Broker? But I'm Rich!
- But What if You Saved $275k Annually?
- Financial Advisors
- Separately Managed Accounts (SMAs)
- The Quirks of Market Segmentation
- What to Do With What's Left?
- Summary: Brokers, FAs & Investing For the Wealthy
Putting It All Together
About The Guide